Applied Ecology, Inc., a small environmental consulting firm dedicated to solving natural and water resource management problems for public clients is hiring a full-time Environmental Technician in the Brevard County area. As a small business, we are involved in diverse, yet challenging environmental projects, providing a great setting for a motivated individual to learn a multidisciplinary skillset.
A minimum of two years of college education needs to have been completed (AA or AS) or be a rising junior in a Bachelor of Arts (BA) or a Bachelor of Science (BS) degree in Engineering, Environmental Science, Geology, Geography, Biology, Oceanography, or related technical field. This is an entry level technical position with no required experience. Training will be provided in the field and office setting. Willigness to learn is a must! The following are minimum requirements:
- Ability and willingness to learn and follow precise protocols for field data collection
- Commitment to the task at-hand and reliability to meet schedule
- Ability to work in the field in various types of weather, and the ability to lift heavy equipment (40 pounds) required
- Ability to stand/walk up to 9 hours a day for field data collection efforts
- Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of employees and managers from varying disciplines and be courteous to the public
- Good general computer skills and knowledge of Microsoft Office
- A valid Florida Driver’s license is required, and a clean driving record must be maintained
- Must be able to pass a drug test and a background check
- Willing to work occasional weekend and/or evening hours in addition to regular work hours
- Must be a U.S. citizen or legally eligible to work in the United States under the Immigration Reform and Control Act
- Experience with sampling techniques, data entry, chain of custody and standard operating procedures is highly desirable
- Experience with advanced water quality instrumentation, troubleshooting with technical equipment is also a plus
- Experience in the use of GIS Field Maps, Survey 123, or Data Collector
- Awareness of different type of stormwater assets
- Experience in ESRI ArcGIS software applications, including mapping and editing of spatial data is preferred; willingness to learn additional GIS skills and motivated to use problem solving skills for diverse environmental projects
- Experience in the use of databases is preferred
- Knowledge of natural communities in Florida
This full-time position will support the water quality monitoring program and the asset management data collection program. This technician position will work with the Applied Ecology team, under the guidance of a lead Field Scientist, with emphasis on the technical operations including deploying, operating, and maintaining surface water, storm water, and groundwater monitoring sites and sampling equipment according to Florida Department of Environmental Protection SOPs. In addition, multiple other field projects, including wetland assessments, stormwater asset management data collection, and wildlife studies would be supported by this position.
Additionally, the technician will occasionally support data entry, project logistics, and reporting for environmental sampling projects. The position requires some flexibility of working hours for stormwater projects.
Applied Ecology, Inc. is committed to continually striving towards a safe and healthy working environment, including taking all reasonably practicable steps required to protect staff and others from the risk of COVID-19.
Applied Ecology, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our firm is committed through responsible management policies to recruit, hire, promote, train, transfer, compensate, and administer all other personnel actions without regard to race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, marital status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, status as a protected veteran and any other factor prohibited under applicable federal, state, and local civil rights laws, rules, and regulations.
For additional information, please review the complete position description here.