Applied Ecology, Inc., a small environmental consulting business with rapidly expanding footprint, is seeking a highly motivated and energetic Mid-level Environmental Scientist to join our growing team. AEI has three offices located in Florida and is a regional leader in geospatial services, water resources, ecological and natural resources, and environmental remediation and contamination services. This position could potentially be a hybrid remote/field/office position for the right candidate, based out of our Orlando office location.
As a small business, we are involved in diverse, yet challenging environmental projects, providing a great setting for a motivated individual to learn from a highly qualified team of scientists and engineers, while making a clear impact in our environment. This position is ideal for someone who enjoys a mixture of office and field work and enjoys a diversity of project types, ranging from freshwater to coastal applications.
Qualified candidates must have demonstrated experience and expertise in natural resources and ecological issues relevant to Florida and southeastern US. Competency is desired in one or more areas including environmental assessments, environmental analysis, permitting, NEPA documentation, listed species surveys, and habitat/wetland restoration.
Candidate should have a minimum of 4 years of professional experience. This position requires a strong background in ecological and natural resource management, willingness to step into project management, and be a great communicator and team player.
Interested applicants, please submit a cover letter and resume addressed to Dr. Claudia Listopad, President of Applied Ecology, Inc.
- B.S. or B.A. in Environmental Science, Geology, Biology, Fisheries and Wildlife, Ecology, or Natural Resources (Masters preferred)
- 4 years of experience in environmental science and natural resources
- Coursework or project experience in plant identification, plant ecology, wildlife species, wetland identification, and/or aquatic habitats
- Significant fieldwork experience in Florida/Southeastern natural habitats, whether through coursework or professional experience
- Ability to identify flora within the Central Florida region using technical keys/regional references.
- Ability to delineate wetlands and complete wetland functional analysis
- Permitting Experience (Federal/State) and knowledge of NEPA
- Ability to work in the field in various types of weather, and the ability to lift heavy equipment (30 pounds) required, as well as stand, bend, twist, and walk for 8 hours a day/
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication and presentation skills
- Proficiency using Microsoft office suite
- Must demonstrate an ability in collaborative problem solving with stakeholders and peers
- A valid Florida Driver’s license is required, and a clean driving record must be maintained.
- Must be able to pass drug testing and a background check.
- Due to Federal Contract requirements, must be a US citizen
Applied Ecology, Inc. is committed to continually striving towards a safe and healthy working environment, including taking all reasonably practicable steps required to protect staff and others from the risk of COVID-19. Since our organization works with Federal, state, and local contractors, a COVID-19 vaccination is required as a stipulation of employment. If you have not received the vaccine upon hire, you will be required to be fully vaccinated by December 8, 2021.
For additional information, please review the complete position description here.